Book One: Dreams in the Distance, Discussion Questions
- The voices you’ve met in this book have names. But are they fiction? What are some of
- What voices impacted Ollie on the battlefield and made him want to die? Have you ever had similar influences?
- How did Glenda’s voice make a difference to Ollie? In what ways might your voice make a similar difference to others?
- How did the voice of Rebellion impact Lily’s thinking toward her father and affect her decision not to go on the family holiday? Sometimes we’re faced with extremely difficult choices. Considering the outcome for Lily, was hers a bad choice or a good one?
- After Lily loses her family, she struggles with deep depression. What might the voices sound like that can lead a person into or out of such despair?
- Was Lily’s determination to rely on herself a good or a bad thing? How did that decision impact her relationship with God?
- How did Lady Beatrice help Lily deal with the self-destructive voices in her life? Who do you have in your life that helps you find the truth about yourself?
- Phila longed to find Prince Charming. What voices make that search for a significant other unrealistic? In what ways does that issue manifest itself in today’s world? What lies do people tell themselves when it comes to who they should be involved with?
- What voices influence Hugh’s feelings toward Lily? How does Phila’s meddling impact that situation in negative ways? In positive?
- Hugh wrestled with Failure’s threats to his career and his own dreams of glory. Physical
issues destroyed Dan’s career and dreams of flying. Lily is also a good example of how a person’s identity is often tied into what they “do” instead of who they are. Discuss.
These questions are intended to get you thinking and help you recognize the internal voices that shout at you from the father of lies. Don’t allow them to drown out the whispers from your Heavenly Father and those souls who love you.
The more you know about these conflicting inner voices, the better you’ll be able to discern where they’re coming from. Identifying them will help you repel the malicious ones and welcome the heavenly ones.